1. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the _____ of maturity.
A. fulfillment B. achievement
C. establishment D. accomplishment
2. The number of tickets _____ will be determined by the size of the stadium.
A. adaptable B. acceptable C. advisable D. available
3. Too many hotels have been built and this has _____ prices, making holidays cheaper.
A. cut short B. cut out C. cut off D. cut down
4. He is a very honest official and never _____ any gifts from the people who sought his help.
A. accepted B. received C. took up D. excepted
5. He was not _____ to the club because he wasn’t a member.
A. allowed B. admitted C. permitted D. approved
6. Although he doesn't like that law, he will _____ with it.
A. confine B. conform C. comply D. contend
7. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested C. charged D. judged
8. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to B. in excess of
C. in contrast to D. in favor of
9. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn't see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore C. yet D. although
10. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly — what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides C. affects D. effects