1. When college students ______ future employment, they often think of status, income, and prestige.
A. demand B. assume C. apply D. anticipate
2. Alice ______ her father that both she and her husband would be happy if he would live with them.
A. convinced B. reinforced C. pledged D. required
3. I caught a ______ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
A. glance B. glimpse C. glare D. stare
4. The World Health Organization gave a warning to the public without any ________when the virus of H1N1 hit Mexico in April, 2009.
A. delay B. effort C. schedule D. consideration
5. Hiking by oneself can be fun and good for health. It may also be good for ______ building.
A. respect B. friendship C. reputation D. character
6. In our class, when the bell rang and the teacher closed his book, it was a ______ for everyone to stand up.
A. signal B. chance C. mark D. measure
7. The system has been designed to give students quick and easy ______ to the digital resources of the library.
A. access B. passage C. way D. approach
8. Encourage your children to try new things, but try not to ________ them too hard.
A. draw B. strike C. rush D. push
9. —He says that my new car is a ______ of money.
—Don’t you think those words are just sour grapes?
A. lack B. load C. question D. waste
10. From their ________ on the top of the TV Tower, visitors can have a better view of the city.
A. stage B. position C. condition D. situation