1. For miles around me there was nothing but a desert, without a single plant or tree _____.
A. on earth B. at a distance C. in sight D. in place
2. This case is quite _____ today with the great development of science and technology.
A. common B. general C. simple D. alike
3. Though the long-term _____ cannot be predicted, the project has been approved by the committee.
A. affect B. effect C. effort D. afford
4. I could easily have imagined her _____ him as a man of fine quality.
A. thinking B. regarding C. talking D. admitting
5. The moon shines brightly, as if it _____ light by itself.
A. gave off B. gave away C. gave up D. gave in
6. The way that the guests ________ in the hotel influenced their evaluation of the service.
A. treated B. were treated
C. would treat D. would be treated
7. The little girl who got lost decided to remain _________she was and wait for her mother.
A. where B. what C. how D. who
8. My parents _____ in Hong Kong. They were born there and have never lived anywhere else.
A. live B. lived C. were living D. will live
9. News came from the school office _______Wang Lin had been admitted to Beijing University.
A. which B. what C. that D. where
10. The computer was used in teaching. As a result, not only _______, but students became more interested in the lessons.
A. saved was teachers’ energy B. was teachers’ energy saved
C. teachers’ energy was saved D. was saved teachers’ energy